Citrus Kale Salad
1 bunch kale
1 whole avocado, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1-2 juicing oranges (juiced)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon ginger juice (fresh or I use Ginger People brand)
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated ginger and grated orange rind
1. In a large bowl, combine the kale (stems trimmed and leaves torn up) with avocado.
2. In a small bowl add olive oil, orange juice and, maple syrup, ginger juice and salt and pepper to taste. You might want to mess around with adding more of any of the flavor enhancers here (orange or ginger).
3. Add the dressing to the greens and make a mess (meaning get your hands dirty and play with your food) by mixing all together.
4. Top with sunflower seeds, dried cherries and grated ginger/orange rinds for a kick.
5. Let sit out for 1 hour or more, and watch how the greens go from crisp to chewable and easier to digest.
If I had to guess, you’ll want to eat it all yourself and in one sitting. It takes all my efforts to leave some for the next day. Oh, and while the salad is softening and flavors are mingling, take some time to meditate or practice some yoga. Just an idea. I’m all for multi-tasking.
Make it more awesome…
Try different nuts; hazelnuts are a favorite of mine. I toast them for 7 minutes then add for a flavor punch.
You don’t need to use dry fruits, but dried Turkish apricots diced up would go nicely here. Also, try dried blueberries or fresh figs! Endless possibilities.
Don’t like orange flavor? You can alternatively use lemon juice.<< Back to our blog